India offers various kinds of visas, depending on the purpose of visit. Student visa is a visa specifically for the students to desire to come to India for education purpose. Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from Universities/recognised colleges or educational institutions in India.

The children of NRIs and PIOs cardholders need not procure a student visa. Other international students need student visa or research visa for Doctoral level courses.

Students need to procure confirmed letters of admission from university or recognized institution. Student visas can be obtained from any of the Indian Missions.

To know more visit INDIAN VISA.

To apply/ be eligible for a student visa, you need to comply to the following:

If you are coming as a self-financing student, you need to produce letters of admission from universities or recognized colleges and institutions in India for obtaining the regular student visa.

If you are coming as a research student, synopsis of the research project countersigned by the sponsoring institution in India along with letter of approval and a no objection certificate from the concerned Ministries in India should be submitted for necessary visa. 

Note: Processing of applications for research may take about three months.

There is nothing to worry if your admission is still not confirmed. Students who do not have confirmed letters of admission from universities or institutions are issued Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions abroad, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. However Provisional Student Visa is valid for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed otherwise you will have to leave India. Note: No extension of Provisional Student Visa is permitted.

You are advised to check the regulations INDIAN VISA.

You need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned on the visa. A request for change of university or institution subsequently made cannot be considered. In this case you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.

"Change of purpose" of visit of international students to India is not allowed once they arrive in India. Therefore, if you come to India on tourist or any other type of visa, you cannot get this visa changed to student visa. According to government regulations, if an international student coming to India on a tourist or any other type of visa (except a student visa ), obtains admission into a university or any institution in India, the student will be required to return to his country and obtain a new visa (i.e. a student visa) from the Indian mission there.

To avoid this situation, all self- financing international students are advised to obtain regular or provisional student visa from Indian missions abroad by producing confirmed or provisional letters of admission from a university or an institution.

Know more about Indian visa here. INDIAN VISA

Yes, you can, provided you have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognised institute in India.

Yes, while applying for the visa you need to keep in mind the following regulations:

Passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India which should accompany your visa application.

Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying).

For citizen of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time.

You can get complete details & regulations regarding Indian Visa by clicking here. INDIAN VISA

Foreign students holding Student Visa of more than 180 days are required to register himself/herself with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival.

He/she should approach the local FRRO/FRO with authentic certificate, proof of adequate financial standing etc.

Normally one entry. However, on veritable reasons, a foreign student can apply for additional entries at Visa Facilitation Centre, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi - 110003.

You are advised to visit INDIAN FRRO.

Return VISA given to students is valid for re-entry to India within a period of 90 days only. In such case a foreigner should obtain a fresh student visa from Indian Mission abroad to enter into India and then can take regular extension on the basis of fresh authentic certificate from college/university.

You are advisied to visit INDIAN FRRO.

Yes. A registered student, who has completed graduation, can apply for extension to carryout a post graduate course from concerned FRRO/FRO cum Superintendent of Police provided he produces an authentic certificate from his institution.
You are advised to visitINDIAN FRRO.

Yes, on permission of undertaking a new course, a fresh visa fee is charged.

You are advised to visit INDIAN FRRO.

Visa fee is charged once at the time of issuance of Student visa for completion of the course or for 5 years whichever is less. In case of 'Provisional Student VISA' when a student seeks regular admission in any college/university then a one time course fee is charged which is valid for the duration of the course or for 5 years whichever is less. If the visa is issued for a period less than the duration of the course, then the visa would be extended by the concerned authorities without charging any additional fees.

For latest updates please visit  INDIAN FRRO

Yes, foreign students can visit the restricted and prohibited areas in India after getting a valid Resident Permit as visa alone is not sufficient to visit such places.

Student visa is very cheap option and it varies from country to country.

It can be in the range of 50 USD to 300 USD. 

We have authorized representatives in many countries who can help you with visa process for a fee.


Love to be a part of the buzz? Subscribe to our fortnightly newsletter
to be updated with the latest colleges and courses in India

We promise we would never spam